Life after Breast Cancer
Eighteen years ago, the Busting With Life Dragon Boat Team was established to provide hope and inspiration to those with breast cancer, and to make a difference…
Auckland Dragon Boat Association hosts
Breast Cancer Dragon Boating: Paddling Back to Reality
When: Saturday 15 October, 2016
Where: Pier Z, Westhaven Marina, Westhaven Drive, St Mary’s Bay Lagoon
Auckland Dragon Boat Association along with the local breast cancer teams – Busting with Life and the Pink Dragons would like to invite all breast cancer survivors to come down to Westhaven Marina and give dragon boating a go Saturday 15th October.
All boats, paddles, life jackets, support boats and instructors provided. If you love the water, keen to try it out then this is safe supportive way to try out a wonderful water sport – no experience needed. Learn from other breast cancer survivors how to paddle, meet inspiring people, have fun and enjoy the best of Auckland’s waterways.
$5 per paddler goes to NZ Breast Cancer Foundation to help them win the fight over breast cancer.
Want to know more? Check out www.aucklanddragonboats.co.nz
Or contact Leslie Ash, 021 552 327
WE ARE RECRUITING FOR NEW MEMBERS NOW
Email us to find out more
Tutukaka Coast Winter Festival Dragon Boat Regatta, August 2016
Driving, paddling, walking, talking, happy hour, shared cooked breakfast and dolphins in the Bay ... an exhilarating way to spend a late Winter weekend away.
ADBA Annual Awards, July 2016
Big congratulations to team member Leslie Ash, awarded Coach of the Year and Team Manager of the Year at the Auckland Dragon Boat Association annual awards. So very well deserved!
NZDBA National Championships, Lake Hood, Ashburton - 19/20 March 2016
The morning was a tad cool but the day was just unfolding. We arrived at Lake Hood and as the sun began to rise, its orange glow reflected onto the still waters - awesome, romantic almost……no time for that! We have a job to do, so let’s do it.
ADBA Regional Championships, Auckland - 12 March 2016
One new team member could not have imagined in her wildest dreams that one day she would be here on this day and quickly takes time to inhale the lake scenery along with a memory snap shot of the moment.
ADBA Boot Camp, Kai Iwi Lakes - 26-28 February 2016
12 Busting with Life ladies had a whale of a time at Kai Iwi Lakes this weekend. Besides some hard out paddling we got to know lots more about each other, like who the party animals are, who can pitch a tent and who can’t, and who can’t dance to save themselves.
Auckland Anniversary Day Regatta, Viaduct Harbour - Monday 1 February 2016
Years ago one of our newer team members just happened to be walking through the Viaduct one sunny day when she saw some Dragon Boats racing. She thought at the time that it looked amazing and that she would love to give it a go. Little did she know that, here in 2016 she would not only be "giving it a go," but would be racing her little heart out for the Busting With Life Dragon Boat team.
Tauranga Regatta, Lake Tauriko - Saturday 28 November 2015
The Tauranga event has always been a great team building regatta for us to attend, and this past weekend was no exception. We also had the absolute privilege of welcoming along a VIP visitor from Canada - Dr Don McKenzie. Dr Don is the pioneer of Breast Cancer dragon boating world-wide.
Hamilton Regatta, Hamilton Lake - Saturday 14 November 2015
We were thrilled to have some new ladies come to test the waters and try their hand at dragon boating and they were still smiling at the end of the day.
See what's happening
Becoming a Supporter or Sponsor
Without our Sponsors, Donors and key supporters, Busting With Life could not stay afloat. The whole team is involved in a myriad of fundraising activities, and the corporate sponsorships and trust grants are our lifeblood. We are indebted to our Sponsors and Donors for their contributions. Have a look on our dedicated Sponsors and Donors page for more information.
To make an instant on-line donation via secure website givealittle.co.nz, click here now. Busting With Life is grateful for any and all support.
See more here
Members - Latest Updates
- 21 September 2016 - (Home Page - Life after Breast Cancer)
- 12 September 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 05 September 2016 - (Events/Home Page - Tutukaka Coast Winter Festival Regatta, August 2016)
- 01 September 2016 - (Gallery - Tutukaka Coast Winter Festival Regatta, August 2016)
- 17 August 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 02 August 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 27 June 2016 - (Events - Winter Walks 2016)
- 19 May 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 04 May 2016 - (Events - Pirates in Pink Regatta, Westhaven, 1 May 2016)
- 02 May 2016 - (Gallery - Pirates in Pink Regatta, Westhaven, 1 May 2016)
- 18 April 2016 - (Gallery - End of Season Brunch, 17 April 2016)
- 15 April 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 13 April 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 11 April 2016 - (Gallery - NZDBA National Championships - more pix)
- 01 April 2016 - (Home Page/Events - NZDBA National Championships, Lake Hood, 19/20 March 2016)
- 23 March 2016 - (Gallery - NZDBA National Championships, Lake Hood, 19/20 March 2016)
- 22 March 2016 - (Events - ADBA Regional Championships, Auckland, 12 March 2016)
- 22 March 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 21 March 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
- 16 March 2016 - (Gallery - ADBA Regional Championships, 12 March 2016)
- 29 February 2016 - (Events - ADBA Boot Camp Kai Iwi Lakes, 26-28 February 2016)
- 05 February 2016 - (Gallery - Auckland Anniversary Day Regatta Viaduct Harbour February 2016)
- 04 February 2016 - (Events/Home Page - Auckland Anniversary Day Regatta Viaduct Harbour February 2016)
- 22 January 2016 - (Gallery - Blessing our New Paddles January 2016)
- 18 January 2016 - (Home Page - Dates for future events updated)
Paddles Ready !!!
For eighteen years and counting, the Busting With Life Dragon Boat team has participated in dragon boat racing to make a difference – to raise awareness of breast cancer and to encourage those living with it to lead full and active lives. And, while making a difference in the wider community, members have competed locally, nationally and internationally, enjoyed new and sustaining friendships, gained from enhanced fitness, and had endless fun.
Visit us on FACEBOOK and "LIKE" us here
New Paddlers - Join us NOW!
Have you had breast cancer?
Are you ready to try something new?
Take a look at dragonboat racing.
For more information and to find out about our training schedule email us now
Dates for Future Events
- Polar Bears 9:00am-10:30am, Icebreakers 10:15am-11:30am every Sunday morning Pier Z, Westhaven. Text Alisha 021467555 by 5pm Saturday to book
- Fundraiser Event - Fashion Fiesta, Wednesday 28 September 2016, 6:30pm
- Pink Star Walk Auckland - Saturday 8 October 2016, (21km starts 4:00pm, 5km starts 6:45pm)
- WIMA Pink Ribbon Ride Auckland - Sunday 9 October 2016, 8:30am
- Super 10 Regatta Auckland - Sunday 9 October 2016, 10:30am-2:30pm
- Paddling Back to Reality - Saturday 15 October 2016, Pier Z Westhaven
- Season Opener - Sunday 16 October 2016, 2:30pm-4:30pm, Venue TBA
- Pan Pacific Masters Games Gold Coast, 9-13 November 2016
- Hamilton Dragon Boat Regatta - Saturday 19 November 2016, 9:00am-4:00pm
- Christmas Dragon Boat Beach Races, Milford Beach - Saturday 3 December 2016, 11:00am-5:00pm
- Auckland Anniversary Day Regatta - Monday 30 January 2017, 9:00am-4:00pm
- ADBA Kai Iwi Lakes Boot Camp - Friday 10 to Sunday 12 February, 2017
- Auckland Senior Dragon Boat Regional Championships, Lake Pupuke, Takapuna - Saturday 18 March 2017, TBC
- World Masters Games Dragon Boat Races, Sylvan Park, Takapuna - 29/30 April 2017